This agreement is for the purpose of running an efficient and effective online school.
Parental Responsibility: Parents are expected to take primary responsibility for the student’s education. This includes monitoring student exams as needed, and providing a level of accountability for attendance, class behavior and completion of assigned work. Parents are also expected to procure and provide all required equipment and materials needed for each registered course along with providing an environment conducive to active participation in the online classroom free of distractions (either for the student or for others in the class). Students are encouraged to grow in their independent ability to take personal responsibility for completion and on-time submission of assignments, including conformity to any required formats.
Fees, Payment & Refunds: The tuition may vary by class as specified in the registration system. The total cost can be paid by credit card at the time of registration, but for full year classes there is an alternative payment plan (see below). The following Withdrawal & Refund Policy applies:
- Course cancellations within 2 weeks of registration and prior to August 15 of the current year will receive a 100% refund.
- Cancelation requests received after the initial 2 week period from the registration date will receive a partial refund as follows:
- Prior to June 1: 80% refund.
- During the month of June: 70% refund.
- During the month of July: 50% refund less a $100/student admin fee (regardless of the number of courses cancelled).
- Course changes may be freely made on request prior to June 1 (preceding the school year) with no additional admin fees due.
- Course changes may be made during the month of June for a $50 admin fee per course, except that the fee will be waived for the first such change request for each student (regardless of the number of course changes involved).
- Course changes made after June 30 are subject to an admin fee as follows:
- Changes from one section to another section of the same course will incur a $50 admin fee except that the fee will be waived for the first such change for any class enrollment.
- Change requests from one course to another course will incur a $100 admin fee except that the fee may be waived or reduced at the sole discretion of the WHA Registrar if the move results in better balanced classes and no adverse impact on teacher workload or compensation.
- Withdrawal or cancellation requests (with no corresponding enrollment) received after July 31, but before September 30 will be subject to a $100 admin fee with 50% of the balance available as credit against a future enrollment for any member of the family. In cases where payment has been deferred under the Alternative Payment Plan Option below, the full balance due will be taken into consideration when calculating any remaining credit. (Note that if the subsequent enrollment is for the same school year as the withdrawal, the previous clause covering course changes will apply.)
- NO refund or credit will be due for withdrawals after September 30.
For Summer School enrollments, the following applies:
- Withdrawal requests received at least 30 days prior to the start of classes and within 2 weeks of registration will receive an 80% refund.
- Withdrawal requests received at least 30 days prior to the start of classes and at least 2 weeks after the date of registration will receive a 70% refund.
- Withdrawal requests received within 30 days before the start of classes will receive a 50% credit toward a future enrollment for any member of the family.
All withdrawal requests must be sent by email to Admin@WilsonHillAcademy.com or to the Registrar directly.
Alternative Payment Plan Option: For those students and parents desiring a payment plan option, a 30% deposit is due upon registration. Except in the case of cancellation within 2 weeks of registration and prior to June 1, 2018, this is non-refundable. With that exception, the policy on course changes and withdrawals detailed above applies. Parents will be contacted with details on how to enroll in an automatic payment plan that spreads the remaining payments evenly over a number of months. The first payment is due in May, 2018 (or during the month following registration if registration takes place in May or later) and the final payment is due by December 20, 2018. Registrations with no corresponding payment plan in place will be subject to cancellation without refund on May 15, 2018, (or 30 days after registration, whichever is latest).
Late Enrollment: Any student enrolling in a class after the class has met will be considered to be a Late Enrollee. Details of payments, credit for the class, etc. vary based on the class and individual situation, but normally full payment will be expected. Details are available for any given situation by contacting Wilson Hill Academy directly.
Student Services Fee: This is a one-time fee of $250/student (discounted this year for current students who are rising 8th-12th graders) that is also subject to a cap of $500/family in any one year. Should a student withdraw from all classes before classes begin, it will be fully refundable. Once classes have begun, there will be no refund for withdrawal or future failure to reenroll. The fee is due upon registration, but for those choosing the Alternative Payment Plan Option above, it will be included in the deferred payment balance. Enrollments for students who have not paid the Student Services Fee by July 31, 2018 are subject to cancellation.
Consent to Photo Usage: I understand my child may be photographed or filmed during live classes or as a natural part of field trips or school activities and community gatherings such as LINK, and that Wilson Hill Academy may use these images in communications or publications including the WHA website, newsletters, the WHA Facebook page, Twitter, etc. From time to time, live class archives or portions of those archives may be provided to potential customers as part of marketing the school. In the case of an archive that may be used for marketing, students will only participate in class with their first name. A student’s full name will not be posted alongside a photograph or on a video that is used for external viewing without the explicit permission of a parent or guardian.
Classroom Etiquette & Rules of Behavior: The registering of a student is an affirmation that parents and Student have read and agree with these standards:
- Biblical behavior standards will be followed at all times.
- Discussion is encouraged, but normal consideration for others is expected. This includes refraining from interruptions and ensuring that discussions are germane to the topic at hand. Chat facilities are intended to enhance class participation and should not be used in a manner that becomes a distraction for the student or others. The teacher has the final say on this topic.
- Background noise or music is not permitted.
- Students, Parents, and Auditors may not share passwords and logins with anyone without express written permission by Wilson Hill Academy.
Students may be expelled without refund for inappropriate behavior in the classroom.
Adherence to Social Media Policy: Wilson Hill Academy welcomes the use of social media as part of participation in the school, seeing it as a way to leverage technology in the interests of furthering the mission of the school. Recognizing that technology also provides a false sense of anonymity that can lead to inappropriate usage, however, WHA holds employees, teachers, students and their parents to a high standard of conduct related to the use of social media as it relates to the school. On-line social media interaction between individuals is essentially no different than face-to-face interaction, and should therefore follow Biblical guidelines of propriety. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Posting of negative or pejorative comments about other students, teachers or the school itself without having first followed the guidelines implicit in Matthew 18 will not be tolerated.
- Developing and maintaining on-line “friend” relationships between students and teachers should in most cases be avoided. Establishment of this type of relationship makes it difficult to avoid inappropriate blurring of the distinction between teacher and student. It is important to bear in mind the role of the teacher as a model and the uneven power dynamics implicit in any relationship between teacher and parent.
Please be aware that the school considers discretion and prudent judgment in the online social networking activities to be a serious matter with respect to protecting the school, its students, its teachers and other employees. As such, violations of the Social Media Policy may lead to corrective action up to and including dismissal (for teachers or employees) and expulsion without refund (for students). Refer to the full Social Media Policy for further guidelines.
Technology Requirements: Visit Adobe Connect support for a detailed listing of equipment required for joining classes. In general, you will need:
- PC with Windows or Mac computer with Adobe Flash Player downloaded, or tablet with Adobe Connect app installed
- Microphone and speakers (built-in or USB headset); A headset with a microphone is recommended for better audio quality
- Internet connection (broadband is best)
- Most recent version of a browser.
A student may also download Adobe Connect and Canvas Apps for connecting to a live class or the Canvas LMS. However, this is not recommended as the only means of access for Canvas or Adobe Connect.
General Requirements: The following general requirements apply:
- Student must have immediate access to all books and other required materials (including version where stipulated) used for the course.
- If a family has more than one student enrolled in the same class, each student must have his/her own computer, microphone/headset, and internet connection.
- Teacher may restrict Student in any way he/she deems advisable to minimize the adverse effect on others in the class.
- Student must have a reasonable ability to type on a computer keyboard.
- Communications by Teacher to any Parents or Student will generally be sent through the messaging system in Canvas (the WHA Learning Management System). A notification will be deemed to have been received and read 24 hours after it is sent to the last provided email address registered in Canvas.
- Communications by Parents or Students to the Teacher should also be made through the Canvas messaging system whenever possible. Communication to the school generally concerning such things as payments, withdrawals, transfer credit, transcript requests, etc. should be made via email to Admin at WilsonHillAcademy dot com, clearly referencing the student(s) to whom the request applies.
Grade Reports: All written assignments and quizzes will receive a grade by the teacher. There will also be a semester exam at the end of each semester in grades 9-12. Students will have access to grades and graded assignments, and parents will have access to grades on a continuing basis through Canvas.
Due Dates: All assignments are due in the manner prescribed by the teacher at the time prescribed by the teacher.
Attendance and Make-Ups: Archives of missed classes are posted and must be viewed by absent students in a timely manner. Student is responsible for obtaining any notes or assignments from any class from another student or any bulletin board maintained by the teacher.
Writing Quality: It is assumed that students will have sufficient mastery of writing skills including grammar, vocabulary and expression commensurate with the level of the class. Parents expressly state that this is the case by registering the student.
Statement of Faith: We believe in the inerrancy of scripture, consisting of the 66 books commonly referred to as the Old Testament (Genesis through Malachi) and the New Testament (Matthew through Revelation), and in the birth, death, burial and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! All teachers are required to affirm their belief in the Nicene Creed.
Statement on Marriage: We believe that marriage is instituted by God and is between one man and one woman.
Statement on Gender: We believe that God created human beings as either male or female.